I will be trekking up Mt. Kilimanjaro in March 2013, hoping to raise some money for charity while I'm about it!

Tuesday 8 January 2013

So this is it!

The very first post, thanks for stopping by!

To start the new year I decided to plan an adventure, 13 is meant to be an unlucky number but I wont let that get in the way of my goal.

Safari was my initial choice. Seeing as I had already been to Cape town in 2008 I thought I'd go to the slightly more unknown, that led me 1600km northeast to Durban. I have people I can stay with there and while they couldn't chauffeur me around I could at least hire a car and explore by myself during the day, I started looking at safari's near Durban and Google, for some reason, came up with Kilimanjaro (about 4500km away so accuracy wasn't great on the search engines side!)

This looked AMAZING! I instantly knew it was what I had been looking for, a rewarding challenge in a foreign land with just the right amount of safety to keep my mum from worrying! I don't personally know anyone who has trekked up Kilimanjaro but I had heard stories of altitude sickness and the fitness needed to reach the summit, to my surprise I wasn't too put off by this and continued my planning.

Now I am a week off booking the flights and have decided that I should give my trip a purpose, for the next two months I will be trying to raise as much money as possible for two local charities. I've restarted my training after a break over Christmas and will hopefully be in good enough shape for March.
I will be using this blog to promote my climb and sponsors, if anyone is interested in helping out or joining me then just let me know :)

I'm sorry if my writing doesn't make sense, I'm tired and excited so I wanted to get this posted!

Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.